Friday, August 3, 2012

Cancer sucks

Everyone we know has been touched by cancer in some way. My life has personally been touched by not only my own battle with cervical cancer but by friends and family who have battled different cancers, some won and some lost. Its such a terrible disease and reality is that it can happen to anyone at anytime. Today I share with you another story of a loved one who recieved his diagnosis this morning. He is my 19yr old cousin, Hayden.

After several months of not feeling well and several trips to the doctor, this last trip is the one that we will remember forever. Feeling weak and dizzy, he arrived at the doctor with blood levels far lower than any human should have. He was then rushed by ambulance to the hospital emergency room and underwent multiple blood transfusions and tests. He spent the night in the hospital with more tests in the morning as family stood by his side waiting for answers. As doctors closed in on the cause, stress and heartache set in. Prayers were said, hugs were given and tears were flowing. Once they had a diagnosis, a teenage boys life changed forever. This morning he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). 

My heart is broken. His sister is supposed to get married September 1st, with her brother walking her down the aisle. As of right now, we don't know what will happen. So many questions, so little answers. He is undergoing ultrasounds to determine where it started and how fast it's progressed. He is being transferred to the cancer ward and has to undergo a year of aggressive chemo therapy. He has to stay at the hospital...he won't be coming home.

Although he may not read this, I need to get it out there. I heal with words. Hayden, this is for you:

There are no words that can take away your pain. There are not enough tissues that can dry your tears. I have no powers that can heal you or make life fair. But I have a heart that will love you forever. I have hands that you can hold, shoulders that you can cry on and strength that you can lean on for comfort and support. I will lend an ear you can talk to, a presence to sit with you, tears that will cry with you and arms that will hug you. YOU are a strong, stubborn, loving person who has enough fight to kick this cancers butt. WE believe in you. I believe in you. You have the biggest, strongest, most supportive family of anyone out there and we stand behind you the entire way. You will never be alone. We love you. Keep your chin up, stay strong and fight with everything you've got! You are in my prayers... I love you and I will forever!

Friends, hug your family a little tighter and a little longer today. Tell them you love them everyday. Life is too short.

1 comment:

  1. Terran, it makes me so sad to hear your news. Cancer is something I will never understand. Your cousin and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words make my day. Thanks for stopping by!